Sunday, December 12, 2010

'Waiting for Eternity'

Living up to its name, it almost felt like waiting an eternity for 'Waiting for Eternity' to be released--and now that time has come! What can I say about it? The project was to make a portrait about a person or place and I did a vampire. Is that a bit cliche? Yes. Which is why I like it. Nobody would expect me, an anti-Twihard, to contribute to the vampire cult. But here it is. And people seem to love it for the most part--at least my targeted audience does. Watch it now on Vimeo.
So, what lessons did I learn since 'Citizen Prophet' that keeps this particular movie from being a flop? Well, it still isn't the greatest film in the world but this is an introductory, first-year course final and coming out in the top 20% of students is something to strive for to make a good first impression.

White-balance
-- how did I not figure this out on my own? It's so simple.

Cinemode
-- My camera has a feature that mimics the looks of feature films and I'm just finding this out!!!

Exposure
-- A huge problem in 'CP'. My camera didn't react well darkness. But I came up with a simple equation to solve that. Open iris to 30 minus 6 exposure.

Lighting
-- A pair of $9 flood lights from Walmart makes a huge difference.

Bullshit-- Knowing crap like what NTSC, codecs and other rendering related stuff is helps with quality.

Acting
-- If they're not professional, don't give them lines. No dialogue = no problem!

Special Effects-- They double your resources and catch the audience's attention. I went all out with the green screen this time.

Time-- If you have it, use it.

Now that it's all over and done with, I'm stuck on a horrible sleep schedule with nothing to work on. So I guess it's time to start working on the next project. This time I might need some help from the great people I've met here at the U. Happy Finals Week!

Waiting for Eternity from Zachary Hayes on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment