Thursday, January 28, 2010

Back to the Story Board

I spent the last week recovering from oral surgery and thought it might be a good opportunity to work on a screenplay. Those of you who are loyal readers of my blog (and I know there are 45 of you, don't try to hide, 'Follow' me!) are probably asking "What happened to the 'Darkness Around the Sun' movie?" Well that's the script I was working on this past week but I didn't get much done. I will finish it, though! It was way too fricken cold outside to record anything new, so I'm stickin' to this animated film.

I did manage to get ahold of my old associate writer, Laura Fast, after trying three different emails. Laura wrote the two scripts for my old High School film club that I presided over, The Future Filmmakers of the Future. She wrote ingenious full-length comedy screenplays for 'Valley High School Musical' and 'Robert of the Neighborhood but this time I asked her to come up with some ideas for a serious, artsy plot so I could have it finished for the next film festival. That way I don't end up with submitting another bust like 'Xenophobic' but you have to admit it wasn't bad being written, shot, edited and distributed in half a month... I mean that was the point of it, right?

So far, Laura has come up with two great plot proposals that will inevitably be drawn out in a screenplay. I'll share one of the ideas with you because the other idea I'd like to save for next winter. I've not made a final decision on whether or not I'm making this into a film but I will if Laura doesn't have any more ideas for me.

The story revolves around a man who is in a horrible car accident which nearly paralysis him. He makes a full recovery thanks to an experimental treatment created by a doctor who makes regular appearances throughout the film. The movie will open after the treatment when the man is trying to live a normal life with his new wife. The man starts noticing strange occurrences such as a flickering moon and things disappearing and all sorts of crazy stuff. He has dreams about a blue room that echoes with a frequent beeping. The man goes to the doctor who tells him that it could be a result of post traumatic stress from the accident and perhaps something having to do with the treatment. Soon the man is driven crazy because he can't even understand his own wife. The ending is a doozy of a twist! For obvious reasons, I won't spoil it. But I can almost guarantee that it won't disappoint.

I'm casting new actors for this movie because in the past I've always used the same people and I need a change for this one because it is more serious and dramatic. I have a few people in mind to play the three main characters; The man, wife and doctor. Whether there are any other parts to cast or not will be figured out after the script is finished. Production won't begin until the snow is gone, like I've mentioned before.

Music will be by Rob Rodgers again. I'm using the same soundtrack he developed for 'Xenophobic' because I think that score would work better for something like this.

As soon as the 'Darkness Around the Sun' screenplay is finished, I'll have it up on my blog so you can download it. I'm not too worried about people stealing it because I'm already breaking enough laws by basing it in Warcraft. That's okay though because I'm making it for fun and friends, not festivals and attention.

Have a nice weekend, and stay warm! Unless you're warm and cozy in California... in which case we should network!

No comments:

Post a Comment