Monday, March 8, 2010

Academy Award vs Reel World Awards

It seemed appropriate that I should watch the Oscars this year so I'd be able to write about it. The night of the Academy Awards I worked, so I TiVoed it. Thankfully I did, because I could barely get through the entire three hours without fast forwarding. So I'll keep this short. Here are my thoughts on the Academy Awards and who the Reel World recognizes as best.

'Music by Prudence' got the Oscar for best documentary short. Never seen it, but my question is who was that crazy red head woman who jumped on stage while the man who got the award was giving his thanks? She babbled on about nonsense and took away all of that man's time. Allegedly, she abandoned the film project due to creative differences and thought she was entitled to the award. On her way to the stage, the man's mother tried blocking the crazy woman with her cane. Every award show needs its Kanye.

Ben Stiller dressed like a Na'vi from 'Avatar' and he didn't seem happy about it. Nor did James Cameron. Ever notice how Na'vi looks a lot like Native?

They managed to sneak Michael Jackson into the memorial segment, but not Farrah Fawcett.

Sandra Bullock received the award for Best Actress in a Leading Role. I've never seen 'The Blind Side' so I have no choice but to judge it based on some great advice that Patrick gave me. Never make a film about a white person helping a black person. So, I have no choice but to give the Reel World Award to Meryl Streep ('Julie & Julia') because she is awesome and in the only movie I've seen from that list of nominees.

'Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire' received many nominees and won a few Oscars. It also hereby receives the Reel World Award for Longest Name.

My biggest surprise was to see 'District 9' had received so many nominations. 'Avatar' and 'District 9' both connected aliens to some oppressed culture but the difference between them was that 'District 9' sucked. It was full of plot holes and flat characters but everyone argues with me because the graphics were good (for a low budget film) and it reflects something happening in Africa. Maybe it wasn't a horrible movie, but how can you consider it deserving of an Academy Award when there were so many far better movies? Reel World gives 'District 9' the award for Most Overrated Film.

'The Hurt Locker' was awarded many Oscars including Best Picture. This is a movie that I've never seen nor heard of but if it beat 'Avatar' then it must be pretty great. There is one thing that I stress when it comes to war movies. It isn't hard to make a war movie dramatic and filmmakers tend to take advantage of that. War is dramatic by itself so when I see a war movie I look for what is creative about it. TIME Magazine described 'The Hurt Locker' as "the perfect war film". Because I've never seen 'The Hurt Locker' there isn't much I could say about it. The film was released in 2008 and the producer apparently emailed the Academy begging them to nominate it instead of "a 500M film" aka 'Avatar'. Fair enough. As soon as I get the chance, I'll watch and review it, but for now I have to give the Reel World Best Picture Award to 'Avatar'. I'm sure James Cameron feels like the king of the world right now.

Here is a list of the Oscar nominations and winners.

1 comment:

  1. Gotta say I'm disappointed that Avatar didn't win Best Picture. A mesmerizing film. Haven't seen Hurt Locker; I'll assume it's great. I think the Academy doesn't favor large budget films, if a small film is powerful. The whole "do more with less" is impressive thing.

    ReplyDelete