Sunday, May 23, 2010

Shrek Forever After... the Final Chapter

It has been a while since my last movie review, hasn't it? Patrick called me up and asked if I wanted to see 'Shrek Forever After'. Knowing that the last sequel were flops, I asked how many stars it got. He told me that professional reviewers gave it 3 stars and users rated it at 4. I like to go by the user reviews, however they tend to vote either 5 stars if they like it or 1 star if they don't and that seems rather... extreme and unprofessional. Although, the fact that the average user rating was 4 stars means that it got more 5 stars than 1, so I decided to go.

Firstly, I'm confused. Is it 'Shrek Forever After' or 'Shrek the Final Chapter'? Both names appear everywhere I search.

Suffice it to say, this sequel was original but... not. It's about as original as this blog post's title. There are very obvious differences, yet it doesn't introduce many new characters and use them in creative ways. And the whole "True loves kiss" theme is getting a bit stale. It did however take all the characters they already had and recreate them using the concept of a parallel universe, which is a very good idea. And Rumplestilskin brought back childhood nightmares, oh the nostalgia!

Rumpelstiltskin was my favorite part about this movie. And the fat Puss in Boots. Btw, he's getting his own spin off movie? He's more of a comic relief than a main character, but okay!

'Shrek Forever After' is probably the most memorable of the sequels. Case study: I can only remember the first movie and I just saw this one, so it is the most memorable of the sequels. I give it a green 53 out a 100. I guess that makes me fickle.

P.S. I also saw Iron Man 2. It was really good, but I had very little to say so I didn't write a review. I give it a 76 out of 100. Just cause Robert Downing Jr. is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment