Thursday, October 7, 2010

F*ck 'em

Film school is a funny thing. Some people say you have to go to the right film school in order to get into the industry--yet so many filmmakers suggest that college is not necessary, and that's kinda true. So am I to believe that because I'm not going to the right film school, I won't make it in the industry? But if I didn't go to school, I would? I'm going to film school because I don't have the right connections or a large portfolio to run away to L.A. Seems reasonable enough.

I'll admit, the University of Iowa is indie based. Many of the students see the industry, "Hollywood", as soulless and say "f*ck 'em". I disagree! It is certainly not soulless. Not with the collection of souls they accumulated over the past century. I owe Hollywood for making me passionate about movies. I didn't get that passion from 'Requiem for a Dream'. That's a indie movie isn't it? Or is it too successful to be indie? Why do I bother asking questions?

It takes a certain kind of person to pursue working for the film industry. Obviously, they have to have a natural talent. But it also takes persistence and dedication. Not having kids helps. It takes soul, because that is the equivalent of currency. It takes encouraging, successful friends and connections. It takes willingness to fail, but the ability to try again. It takes accepting parents who have a second child as a backup plan. I seem perfectly qualified to take a risk. And I do understand the risk and am willing to settle if it comes to that.

I never considered myself an artist until coming to the University of Iowa where they treat you like artists. I think that's because I see two sides of art. Pictorial art and narrative art. Pictorial art is typically painting, sculpting, etc. Narrative art would be like writing, music, etc; which consists of artists but they're more rarely referred to as such. Cinema can be considered both. I would come more from the narrative side because I'm more focused on the audiences' reaction to the story than I am the imagery (which is still very important!). The University of Iowa has so far had me focused on the pictorial element. White balance is something I never taught myself, and now that I use it, I'm in a whole new world! For instance, I work for City Channel 4 now as a production assistant. We record city counsel meetings and such, but I've focused more on the interviews for Community Voice. Setting up lights, the camera equipment, microphones and setting the white balance, focus, f/stop--this is fun sh*t! And I have to work on my dialogue project for my Modes class. Just thinking about writing that screenplay is getting me excited! The job possibilities are endless! As are the impossibilities.

And if I fail, I'll live my life watching movies, playing World of Warcraft and writing blogs nobody will ever read. It'll be like never leaving college! Artists, which I apparently am, are all about escapism. We're escape artists.

Nobody put me down about taking a risk with what I want to do with my life, and I appreciate that. But I can tell when people think I'm only dreaming. But there is nothing else I could do and I have nothing to lose. So I'm doing it. Refer to this countdown clock and when it hits 0, if I've gotten nowhere, I'll reconsider my life direction.

2 comments:

  1. Zachary, you are so sure of what you want in your life. You know what you want to do... and you know exactly how you will do it. I've never met anyone this confident about their dreams and aspirations, in my life. Just because of this, you are a step ahead of your peers. I am nobody, but I believe you will be what you want to be before that clock hits 0.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In response to : "... and writing blogs nobody will ever read..." I'll read it. :-)

    ReplyDelete